Sausage, Potato and Cheese Flan
You will need a 10” loose bottom flan tin
1 sheet of ready rolled short crust pastry, defrosted
500g Jersey royal potatoes
1 red onion, sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 large Hafner's sausages
150ml creme fraiche
3 medium eggs
50g grated Gruyere cheese
50g Cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper
1. Lay the defrosted pastry sheet onto a lightly floured work surface and gently roll until it’s about 3mm thick, it should be large enough to easily fit into the flan tin, Lift the pastry by placing the rolling pin at the top of the square and flipping the pastry over the rolling pin. Now, roll the pin gently back towards you, the pastry will roll itself around the pin, then you can easily lift it and unroll it into the flan tin.
2. Gently work the pastry into the shape of the tin and pinch all the way around the edge leaving a good ½ inch over hang, Trim the excess pastry below the overhang. Line the flan with baking parchment and fill to the brim with baking beans, then bake in hot oven for 35 minutes until golden brown. Remove the parchment paper and allow the flan to cool.
3. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the Jersey royals until tender. Drain and cool.
4. Gently fry the sausages in a non stick pan until thoroughly cooked, add the sliced red onion and continue to cook for a further 3 minutes.
5. Slice the cooked potatoes and sausages and layer into the baked tart case with onion, Cheddar and Gruyere.
6. Whisk the eggs and creme fraiche together with a little salt and pepper and pour over the filling. Bake in a hot oven for 35 minutes until firm and golden.
7. Remove from the oven and trim the excess pastry (the overhang) from the edges, release the flan, cut into wedges and serve.